Sermon Talk: The Peace of Easter and Four Marks of the Church at Pentecost
May 17, 2021
Quotes from David Fry:
- If I am not in a series and I do not have a particular sermon that I want to preach, I always default to one of the lectionary readings for my Sunday preaching. I follow the Revised Common Lectionary.
- We live at peace because on the third day He rose from the dead and with the same body in which He suffered, He arose, and He ascended.
- Saints of God, we have peace because Jesus has overcome the world.
- What truth am I avoiding in order to give myself a false sense of peace? Isolating myself, stonewalling, avoiding someone—that's not peacemaking. That may just be flight.
- What am I willing to suffer for the sake of peace? We need a more robust theology of Christian suffering.
Quotes from Johnathan Arnold:
Support the show
- The Spirit comes as the one who represents the risen Christ and fulfills Christ's promises to build the church and to be our comforter.
- The Spirit of the risen Christ creates the Church.
- The four marks of the church (one, holy, catholic, apostolic) are present at Pentecost.
- The Sunday sermon is not just a time to give people a nugget to get through to the next week. It is an opportunity to develop the church's theological thinking.