The Derek Chauvin Trial, George Floyd, Racism, and Social Justice
May 10, 2021
Quotes from David Fry:
- We must distinguish between BLM the concept, BLM the organization, and BLM the movement.
- Eyewitness testimony or video of an event doesn’t mean that there won’t be different interpretations. It's wise as believers to be patient, listen, and suspend judgment as long as we can.
- It takes patience to live in a multicultural context.
- Christians need to get out in front of these things and set the tone, rather than sitting back and always reacting.
- When I say that we need to pray for peace, I've always assumed that people assume that justice is entailed in that. But I've realized that people don't automatically think that peace requires justice. In Christian theology, there is no peace without justice.
Quotes from Johnathan Arnold:
Support the show
- We need to be aware of lingering racial prejudices. These things are important to God. He’s a God of justice.
- We need a robust theology of justice because if we don’t then the world defines it in a non-Christian way.
- We want Scripture and Church Tradition to shape our thinking on these issues, not the broader culture.